Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Six Scenes with a View of Soap Writing: Seminar Tonight!
By Susan Dansby
I've spent the last few days going through the multitude of Nuke moments you all submitted as points of reference for these scenes.
It was ironic and sad that I was doing this as the death of Tyler Clemente was mourned. But it drives home an imperative.
Words can hurt or heal. What you say and how you say it can inspire or incite, incense or encourage. Your writings might change a mood, a mind or a world.
Wherever your gifts take you, I thank you for sharing them with me. Your "extra credit" assignments took me back to the breakdown room - ideas coming at you faster than you can comprehend. And you don't have time – and sometimes it just isn't appropriate – to challenge. If you're too quick to judge or dismiss an offering, you run the risk of throwing out something golden. Better to take it all in and sift through slowly when you have more time.
So, I kept a little bit of everything that was offered, and it's starting to look like a story. Tonight, we'll go through that "breakdown" process, talk about basic actions, and how to construct what is (for me) the most difficult part of the script – the prologue.
We'll also go over the bits I've selected from each of your suggestions; and you'll see how I've structured them into a framework.
One of the interesting things about writing soaps is how much freedom there is in and around the details you're given. Although I may not have mentioned the emotional arcs you described, I read them all. And I hope you'll remember them, and find a way to include your point of view within the structure. As a television writer, that will almost always be your mandate: Acknowledge the structure, and write brilliantly within it.
Do try to be available for the call tonight. It will be somewhat interactive. And for those of you who can't be there, I'll provide a recording. Until tonight…

***

This one of a kind, absolutely FREE interactive soap writing seminar will take place tonight, Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 7PM Eastern. There is still time to sign up. Please click here for details.

1 comment:

Takeitish After Hours said...

Hello! Sorry we missed your seminar sounds intereesting! A friend and I write FanFic for AMC and we were curious how and where do you apply to be a soap writer? Our dream is to write for "All My Children". I just wished we had seen this earlier.