Monday, August 22, 2011

BOOK 'EM

Michael Fairman posted his in-depth interview with Kim Zimmer (Reva; GL) this weekend. Read the entire thing at: http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/guiding-light/the-kim-zimmer-interview-im-just-sayin-three-deaths-seven-husbands-and-a-clone-my-life-as-a-daytime-diva/2011/08/19/

At one point, he mentions:

MICHAEL:
So I have something to tell you. I was contacted to be a contributor for this upcoming e-book on some of soap operas most memorable moments. I was asked if I could write something up on Kim Zimmer‘s “Slut of Springfield” scene. They wanted to know why it was a memorable moment, and what the set-up was, and what the fans said about it. And then, I decided to watch your Emmy win back on YouTube, with the spiky hair and the throwing off your shoes. I remember it like yesterday!

KIM:
So do I! Only because I can remember the look on my mother’s eyes when I had my hair like that, and I went up to accept my award. (Laughs)

MICHAEL:
Am I correct, I thought you won the 1984 Daytime Emmy for “The Slut of Springfield” scenes? But in the book you said, those were not the episodes you submitted. This shocked me!

KIM:
No, I did not use those scenes. It surprised me that they used that clip on the Emmy telecast, so I assume people thought that was on my reel, but is wasn’t. Seriously, that scene when I dubbed myself “The Slut of Springfield”, that was like Act 6C. And everything else before that were party scenes. Those were the days when you had to submit every scene you were in, in the episode. You could not edit anything out. I am telling you, voters would have been asleep by the time they got to “The Slut of Springfield” if I had chosen that reel. (Laughs) I think I submitted the aftermath of that.

The book he's referring to is Soap Opera 451: A Time Capsule of Daytime Drama's Greatest Moments, and I do address the fact that while everyone thinks Kim won her first Emmy for Slut of Springfield, that isn't, in fact, the case.

She told me, “I couldn't submit that, because that was the only thing in that episode and the rest was all party scenes, and you have to submit every scene you're in. Everyone assumes (that's what won me the Emmy), but that's not what I submitted. I don't even remember what I submitted, but I know it wasn't that show because it was the last scene at the end of a very long show full of other people.”

Soap Opera 451: A Time Capsule of Daytime's Greatest Moments will be out in September of 2011.

In the meantime, check out Kim's book, below!



No comments: