Thursday, August 07, 2014

HOW I KILLED SOAPS (AND SKATING. AND REGENCY ROMANCE)

About.com's Fiction Writing site featured a Q&A with me about http://alinaadamsmedia.com/live/, where I am writing my next novel live in front of readers' eyes - typos, edits, sex scenes and all.

Of course, any interview about my writing career has to mention my soap opera tie-in books, my Figure Skating mystery series and my uncanny ability to destroy anything I touch.

Enjoy an excerpt below:

My background is in soap-operas. I worked for ABC Daytime and for the P&G shows, “As the World Turns” and “Guiding Light.” For the latter two, I wrote NYT best-selling tie-in books, which were collaborative works between me, the shows’ producers, writers and fans. Also for P&G, I developed a property called “Another World Today,” where each bi-weekly episode ended with a cliff-hanger and fans got to vote on what happens next. Based on my experience with AWT, live writing seemed like the next logical step.... 

When I started working in soap operas, in 1994, there were twelve shows on the air. Now there are only four left. When I worked at ABC, “Loving” was cancelled.  When I worked at P&G, “As the World Turns” and “Guiding Light” were cancelled. I worked on the on-line revivals of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” last summer.  They were cancelled, too.  And, in between my soap stints, I worked in Figure Skating coverage for ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBC, as well as wrote Figure Skating Mystery novels. When I got my first job as a writer and researcher in the industry, Figure Skating was the second most popular broadcast sport in America, after football.  Now, even the National and World Championships don’t warrant primetime coverage. This past Winter Olympics in Sochi, I produced 2-time Olympic champion Dick Button’s live Twitter commentary. The man is 85 years old. I am very worried.

Visit: http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/genrefiction/fl/NYT-Bestselling-Author-Alina-Adams-on-Writing-Live-On-the-Web.htm for more, including how I got my first romance novel published (and ended up destroying an entire book line)!

No comments: