Wednesday, January 16, 2013

JEWROTICA A.K.A. JEWS CAN BE SEXY, TOO

As I confess in today's Jewrotica:

In February of 2001, I was interviewed for an article entitled “The Secret Jews of Romance Novels.”

I talked about how in my then-latest book, “When a Man Loves a Woman,” the hero and heroine were Jewish. But, it was never flat-out stated. You had to pick up on the subtle clues to figure it out. And no, the fact that they were both doctors wasn’t one of the clues.

The reason for these Muranos of Romance, as it were, was that I wasn’t writing stand-alone historical titles like Anita Diamant, or women’s fiction like Belva Plain, or even chick-lit mysteries like my good friend, Kyra Davis. I was writing category romances. And whenever I would pitch a category romance that featured anything other than straightforward, white bread, all-American characters to my various publishers, I would get shot down. The belief was that anything outside of the norm, anything “exotic” wouldn’t sell in that particular genre like it did in others. (For the record, I have nothing against Americana. As an immigrant, I just don’t know much about it.)

So I faked it.

Read more, including a hot When a Man Loves a Woman excerpt at: http://jewrotica.org/2013/01/romance-novel-jews/

No comments: