Tuesday, November 27, 2012

FOR GOOD - GIVING TUESDAY

After Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday, now comes Giving Tuesday, a way for those of us who feel we've been extraordinarily lucky in our lives (my family moved from the USSR to the US when I was a child - if nothing good ever happens to me again, I am still more fortunate than most) to give back in whichever way we find appropriate.

There are many wonderful organizations listed at the link above.  My personal contribution is below:

Originally written 11/5/12:

Last week, I posted a note from The Ice Theatre of New York, who provided video for all of my enhanced figure skating mysteries, and who lost their offices and more in the wake of Superstorm Sandy.

ITNY is accepting donations to help them rebuild and, to encourage contributions, I offered to send a free multimedia skating novel to anyone who did so.  (Details, here.)

Over the weekend, my family and I did the best we could to help those who have been displayed by the storm.  We gathered up clothes, blankets and children's books and donated them to a shelter that had been set up in one of our local schools.

Now, in an attempt to keep the contributions coming in a variety of forms, I am extending my original offer.  Donate to any charity of your choice (it doesn't have to be ITNY or even Sandy-related; the fact is, when a disaster hits and receives prominent news coverage, money that might have gone to another worthy cause is diverted to the more immediate concern, leaving the other organizations struggling down the line), and I will thank you with a copy of Counterpoint: An Interactive Family Saga, the romantic serial where what happens next is up to you.

Simply email me at AlinaAdams@gmail.com with a copy of your receipt and let me know if you would like the book in mobi for Kindle or ePub for Nook form.  (You don't need a designated reading device to experience either.  Just download the FREE Kindle or Nook apps for your phone, iPad, laptop or desktop computer.  Basically, if you can read this, you can read an ebook.)

Let's everyone do what we can.  Thanks in advance!

No comments: