Tuesday, July 03, 2012

A GRATEFUL IMMIGRANT'S STORY FOR THE FOURTH OF JULY

For me, it was a black bear whose limbs kind of moved, with glass eyes, a yarn mouth, and a nose where the fuzz was already staring to come off.

His name was ‘Misha,’ the Russian word for bear (I know, not very creative. It’s genetic. My daughter’s lamb is named Lambie), and I carried him with me everywhere. Including, in the fall of 1976, onto the train that carried me, my parents, my aunt and uncle, my 13-year-old cousin, and his grandmother from Odessa, USSR, first to a series of Soviet border-towns, then to Vienna, Austria, where we spent a few days before using illegal tourist visas to get on a bus and be smuggled into Rome, Italy, where we hunkered down to wait for permission to immigrate to the United States.

After four months in Italy (where we all ate our weight in fresh tangerines–seriously, that’s my dominant memory. That and the horrible paintings of babies being knifed in the stomach at the Vatican. And falling in some doggie-do at the Coliseum), we were finally allowed to leave for America.

Read the entire piece at: http://www.kveller.com/blog/parenting/thanks-to-my-dad-i-still-have-my-bear/

And, in the spirit of American generosity, for the month of July, I have the following offers exclusively for my readers:

* Buy a copy of Counterpoint: An Interactive Family Saga (Volume One) and get a copy of When a Man Loves a Woman: Enhanced Multimedia Edition FREE!

* Buy a copy of Soap Opera 451: A Time Capsule of Daytime Drama's Greatest Moments and get a copy of Counterpoint: An Interactive Family Saga (Volume One) FREE!

* Buy a copy of Murder on Ice: Enhanced Multimedia Edition and get a copy of On Thin Ice: Enhanced Multimedia Edition FREE!

* Buy a copy of The Worldwide Dessert Contest: Enhanced Multimedia Edition and get a copy of Murder on Ice: Enhanced Multimedia Edition FREE!

Just email me your proof of purchase at AlinaAdams@gmail.com, and have a very happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

Sarah Saad said...



شركة كيان لنقل العفش بالرياض والمدينة المنورة وجدة ومكة والطائف والدمام تقديم لكم دليل كامل لشركات نقل العفش بالمملكة العربية السعودية

نقل عفش شركة كيان
دليل شركات نقل العفش
شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش بجدة