Thursday, September 20, 2012

SOAP SCHOOLING

One of my many, many other identities, the NY Gifted Education Examiner, has written a piece about former soap scribe Craig Heller now offering his services as a consultant for writing teen's personal statements when applying to college.  (Seems like an oxymoron, doesn't it?  Getting help to write a personal statement?)

Read the entire thing at http://www.examiner.com/article/get-help-with-the-soap-opera-that-is-nyc-school-admissions-from-a-soap-writer and if you didn't know that, in New York City, parents need to write an essay chronicling their two year's old achievements (thus far) in order to gain admission to nursery school, well, this will make it even more fun.

But, the article got me thinking.  What if the soap characters we know and love had to write personal statements to get into college?  What would they be like?

Hello, my name is Will Munson, so far, I've been comatose, accidentally poisoned my sister-in-law, sent to a mental institution and gotten married.  All before finishing high-school.  As you can see, I'm an overachiever.

Or

Hello, my name is Lizzie Spaulding.  I've shot a man, survived leukemia, and terrorized my stepmother.  I am obviously a very creative problem-solver.

Got one of your own?

Write it in the Comments below.  My favorite entry wins a very soapy prize!

No comments: