Saturday, September 19, 2009

SHINING LIGHT

Back in the days when both radio and soap operas were still new, the traditional format featured a central heroine such as Joyce Jordan MD, Helent Trent or Kitty Foyle introducing her listeners to the trials and tribulations of her family, friends and neighbors.

After the transition to television, this trend continued with Liz Dennis of The Brighter Day, Julie Fielding of Follow Your Heart, Liz Fraser of From These Roots, Eve Allen of The Greatest Gift, Katy Elliot of Morning Starr and, most notably, Jo Barron (Mary Stuart; pictured) of Search for Tomorrow serving as central, point-of-view characters for all the romance, intrigue and high drama that struck their seemingly sleepy small towns on a disturbingly regular basis.

In 2009, with the Internet looking to usurp television's place and function in American society (the same way that TV once usurped radio) Guiding Light's Mindy Lewis picks up the baton of Joyce, Helen, Liz, Eve and Jo as the woman on the spot, bringing fans intimately into the world, lives and loves of Springfield, USA.



Mindy has been Twittering her days ever since coming back home for her high-school reunion in March, reminiscing about her relationships with Phillip, Alex, Beth and Rick.

Go to http://twitter.com/melindasuelewis starting on Monday, September 21, 2009 for up to the minute updates from Mindy and Rick's wedding, plus all of the latest, on-going Springfield action.



Accompanying Mindy's Tweets will be classic GL clips, viewer polls, contests and other interactive features.

The Light may have dimmed, but it isn't totally out yet!

11 comments:

wheelswee said...

I'll have to check it out at 3 o'clock--when GL would have normally been on. There certainly is nothing worthwhile on TV at that time anymore!!

Donna Pool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna Pool said...

I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for that!
http://tinyurl.com/kqzbrh

oshunbrez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
oshunbrez said...

I'll be here. It's not a full episode but it is a GL fix to hold over until the boycotts and protest get our show back and it stays "ALWAYS!" We love you and thanks for the wedding update Mindy. I am so glad you guys made it through all the friction. If you can get some pictures of the eloping couple, that would be awesome. And tell Beth we've had enough disappointment in the last week. She and Phillip need to hold it together. The fans are fighting hard for you guys!

Unknown said...

Thank you P & G for this site. I've watched GL my entire life (56 years) and really miss it. It was almost the saddest day of my life when it last aired.
I've heard rumours that GL may come back as a Webisode? I certainly hope so, you can be sure that I and many many other loyal fans will tune it! Thanks,

Bridge

Unknown said...

the 'Mindy twitters" and this site - It's not the Light but it does make me feel less abandoned... Guiding Light was the only show of its' type that I watched. I found it to be entertaining - with a message - and it provided me with a break in the days activity. The longevity of certain actors in roles and the variety of story lines always held my interest. I hope the Light returns to daytime TV soon - a great many loyal fans would be very happy.

LILMARCIA said...

I LIKE THIS SITE BECAUSE IT GIVES ME A GL FIX. IT ISN'T AS GOOD AS WATCHING IT ON TV BUT BEGGER CAN'T BE ... AND WILL DO TILL SOME STATION WISES UP AND PICKS UP GL. I CHECK IN EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS TO GET MY GL FIX TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SOME OF THE CHARACTERS. I SURE HOPE THEY DON'T CANCEL THIS ON US.

nancylou2 said...

I am soo glad to have found this site and the GL lives on in some way. I have been a fan and watched each episode since I was 17, and I am now 58. I still have 15 shows unseen and saved on my dvr as I cannot bear to actually have seen the last episode...So thank you Mindy sue for help us have our gl fix until those in charge of the funding smarten up and put us back on the air somewhere. wherever it is I will watch it. I remain a fan and I miss the show so much!!

jeh51 said...

I love this little bit of Guiding Light story we get to glimpse into every day. I have watched since a child and am now 58 , I have switched to Days on NBC at 2:00 because I refuse to watch a stupid game show in place of my beloved show. CBS was really stupid in cancelling my soap for a game show.

Unknown said...

I love hearing what Mindy has been up too. Everyone should check oi out