Monday, October 20, 2014

WRITING TIP: PUT COMMERCIALS IN YOUR BOOKS

My Master's Thesis tackled the subject of television commercials. I argued that rather than breaking up the story, commercials actually added to the tension, ultimately making the story more enjoyable for viewers.

Books don't have commercials (which is a shame, as it would add an additional revenue stream for perennially struggling authors). But maybe they should.

Or, at the very least, maybe they should be written as if they do.

In addition to writing romance novels and figure skating mysteries, I've also worked extensively for soap-operas, including ABC Daytime (General Hospital, One Life to Live, All My Children, Loving) and Procter & Gamble Productions (Guiding Light, As the World Turns, Another World).

As a result, I write my books as if I'm building to a commercial, cutting a scene at a crucial moment, then picking it up later.

It's a tactic that works in TV, but does it work in books?

Here's how I intend to find out: After 20 years and over a dozen traditionally published novels which went through the usual submit, get editor's notes, revise, resubmit process, I am writing my next book live on the web at: http://www.AlinaAdams.com/live/. Instead of editor's notes, I'm getting reader notes (click on Comments to read them). So I need you to tell me, does my approach work?



More Writing Tips:

Writing Tip: Start Your Scenes at the End

Live Sex Acts: Writer Exhibitionism

Writing Tip: Cut the Hysterics

Teaching Creative Writing to Teens

How To Write a Better Book

Putting My Writing Where My Mouth Is

How To Murder a Writing Career

I Hate Writing Description

No comments: